|I was out shopping for a new (used) car with my brother and we found ourselves at Tub's Gourmet Sandwiches in Lynwood at lunchtime. I had been to Tub's before, even reviewed one of their sandwiches, the Firecracker, which was so delicious. I was excited to have their French dip. I felt deplete to have not had it before.|
|Tub's is a deli-style establishment that feels pretty ma and pa, local, which is good. It has a good feeling and vibe and I believe it has a pretty good following, large clientele, and respected brand.|
|Here's the French dip sandwich. You can see quite a bit of roast beef and good, nice quality bread. It was toasted nicely as well.|
|Here's my hand-model, Adam, after his first bite. Note that I instructed him to eat the sandwich first, alone, to judge its utility.|
- Good not great chowder with black peppery taste, thin texture.
- The bread was perfectly toasted and good.
- The overall size was generous.
- The use of so much styrofoam was a bit over the top and ridiculous. This might fly in Texas but I would think Washingtonians are a bit more conscious / concerned about this issue.
- Lots of roast beef piled high but it was not HOT, which made the sandwich lose points.
- The sandwich was good-tasting when enjoyed by itself sans jus.
- I chose provolone cheese which was an okay choice but didn't add a lot. I may prefer Swiss cheese for a French dip due to its deep, umami flavor.
- The au jus was light (nothing too special or too rich) but good
- The bread was very absorbent, which took up a lot of jus, causing me to re-order jus. I watched the lady pour me a new jus out of a coffee thermos, which did not heighten the degree of perceived flavor for me.
- The roast beef on the sandwich was plentiful and fine-tasting but cold. Lost points here.
- The bread was indeed buttered and the $6.79 price tag was reasonable.
- Overall this was a 3.5 of 5 ("pretty good"), simple, no frills except cheese. A competent and reasonable sandwich.
- Bread 3 of 5 - Too absorbent, perhaps too much.
- Jus 3 of 5 - OK only but served hot, which was nice.
- Meat - 2.5 of 5 - Fine roast beef but it was served cold, which I don't really like as a contrast to the hot jus.
- Non-Meat Toppings (Provolone cheese) - 3 of 5 - Fine but nothing notable