|Driving over to West Seattle before a podcast recording. Beautiful, sunny, cold day in Seattle.|
|Here's Shadowland from the south side. Bamboo and sun. Feels like West Seattle.|
|Their menu. It was a Saturday at about 11:30 AM. They had brunch and lunch options. I wasn't in a brunch mood and was basically there seeking their French dip.|
|Picture from the bar. My new Samsung Galaxy S7 has a way better camera than the S5 did. I upload all of my photos automatically to Google Drive using the Google Photos auto-backup feature.|
|The bar. All of the wait staff was basically awesome. They were very friendly and nice. I asked about the history of Shadowland, which they readily and knowledgably disclosed. I guess it's been there for 12 years and was formerly a florist.|
|And I see the French dip. $13. Braised Beef Brisket, White Cheddar, Garlic Aioli, Au Jus, Horseradish, French Roll.|
|There's the sandwich. A few comments: the cheddar is not melted, so that's too bad. The bread is not too big nor does it look too fancy so I wasn't overly stoked. The beef looks fine and tasty.|
|Here's the other side of the sandwich. Also cheese that is not melted. That could *perhaps* be resolved by a very hot jus, but that, my friends, was not my fate on this day.|
|Looks good. I am excited.|
|The "money shot". Also looks good. But the aioli mayo killed and overwhelmed it.|
|More data for you on the wedge.|
Tasting NotesSo there you have the photos and story and whatnot. Here are the detailed tasting notes:
- It was good overall but not great. 3 of 5 overall.
- The size was basically small. It had a lot of cheese on it, a fair amount of beef, fairly small bread area.
- Neither the sandwich nor jus were hot enough. I was at least one IPA into the meal at this point.
- I made a huge mistake and did not request for the aioli to be on the side. I had made this decision before but ordered in haste. It is a rule to never get the aiolio on the French dip.
- The sandwich had a 3 in flavor. Nothing really to write home about. The horseradish flavor was not memorable either. And it wasn't on the side either, so I couldn't overindulge in it. You want spicy Beaver horseradish not in the cream variety.
- The bread was small and classic so I'm only going to give it a 2 in this context.
- Beef was fine but also not notable.
- Jus was fine, also unremarkable.
- And I come back to the salad, which was actually the highlight of this meal (not to mention the Fishhead IPAs). It was a good wedge probably 4.