I was out for a walk from work and knew I hadn't yet completed the French dips at George's a diner and breakfast spot in downtown Kirkland. I hymned and hawwed over whether or not I would walk back to George's to taste test their sandwich and then decided that I would. I sat at the bar. The salad was good. The French dip was pretty good and I enjoyed my lunch. I am nearly done with all of the French dips in Kirkland now. Here's the to do list.
- Choices between burger dip and roast beef (French dip) all under a single menu item.
- Good side salad with nice crunchy herbed croutons, cheddar cheese and pretty good dressing.
- Sandwich alone is good and bread is soft.
- Comes with a bowl of jus, which I hadn't seen in a while. Compare to Gere-a-Deli, which also provides such an option.
- The roast beef was well done and somewhat chewy. It wasn't bad but it also wasn't especially fine. Probably a 3 of 5 overall since at least there was plenty beef. The beef also "pulled out" of the sandwich which was a bit sad. Sad!
- The sandwich overall has a garlicky taste, which is nice.
- The grilled onions and cheese do indeed add something.
- The jus was plentiful, dark, good and oily and served in a big bowl. The issue with the bowl is that it had a flat bottom which made it shallow, so I do not believe this was an ideal serving vassel.
- The bread scores a 3 of 5 for being plentiful albeit somewhat "white bread" and kind of pillowy soft.
- The onions are probably the best part of the sandwich. I also liked the chewy beef, jus and cheese so overall we were doing well but I think the bread is where this thing primarily misses although it was also buttered and grilled.
- Overall this sandwich gets a 3 and possibly a 4.
- The flavor of the sandwich was even a bit tart/sharp, tangy and definitely salty. The cheese also added some balance, but being processed, was not exactly what I wanted and made the feeling of overall quality go down.
- The non-meat toppings get a 3 of 5 because the cheese brings the score down. The onions were good. Perhaps next time ask for non-processed cheese. They had okay cheddar on the salad so I'm sure they have it.
- Meat 2 of 5 just because it was not overly "fine". They gave you plenty, though, so that was nice.
- Bread 2 of 5 because it was too soft.
- Non-Meat Toppings 3 of 5. They definitely added something and were good but I have to deduct points for using sub-par (processed) cheese.
- Jus 4 of 5. It was good and salty and came in a bowl. It wasn't herbed or anything too fancy but it was nice and oily, good.
- Overall 3 of 5. This is a pretty good French dip sandwich and nice with the toppings but I have to score it a 3 of 5 because it was not overly refined and the meat was just kind of chewy.
Post a Comment